Our goal is to conduct all of our operations ethically and with an awareness of our impacts on communities local to where we work.
We operate in a number of diverse environments where communities face a wide range of human development challenges. Through holistic engagement and consultation with related stakeholders Blacksands Pacific's 'Working with Communities initiatives look to alleviate these challenges. Our social investments support improvements in education, health, conservation, and developing local enterprise; themes which are well aligned with the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.
Our proactive support of local communities not only benefits communities, but also gives Blacksands Pacific a competitive advantage through reduced operating costs and improved reputation as a responsible operator.
With intention to increasing our annual social investments through continued support for a number of long-term initiatives as well as committing to new programmes in line with the growth of our business operations.
- Deliver discretionary budget in line with the focus of the Group's 'Working with Communities' initiative;
- Continue community engagement programmes throughout the business, with a specific focus on Nigeria and Ghana;
- Develop and roll out community development guidelines; and
- Influence, where possible, social licence commitment decisions and continue to share experience of Blacksands Pacific`s projects.
Future Issues / Targets
- Widen identification and engagement with local community stakeholders;
- Conduct Human Rights risk assessment in key countries of operation; and
- Involve more partners and external contractors in community development projects.